Patient Services: Day of Your Surgery
DO NOT EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT FOR 8 HOURS BEFORE YOUR SURGERY UNLESS SPECIFICALLY DIRECTED BY THE NURSE OR ANESTHESIOLOGIST. Eating or drinking any type of fluid may cause CANCELLATION of the surgery. DO NOT smoke or chew gum after midnight as these activities increase stomach secretions. You may be directed to take prescribed medications for heart, blood pressure or lungs with a VERY SMALL amount of water prior to surgery. Take any diabetic medications as directed by the Anesthesiologist or Surgery Center nurse.
On the day of surgery, you should follow these important safety rules which are critical to your well being. If you do not follow these guidelines, your procedure may have to be delayed or cancelled.
- Please arrive for your surgery promptly at the time given to you at the time of your Pre-Op phone call.
- Notify your surgeon or call the Surgery Center should you notice any symptoms of cold, flu, fever or illness.
- Shower the morning of your surgery; this will decrease the risk of infection.
- Do not wear contact lenses, make-up, nail-polish, earrings, body piercings, or any other jewelry to the Surgery Center. We will not be responsible for lost items.
- If you wear dentures, you may be asked to remove them just before going to the operating room .
- Your family should wait in our waiting area until your surgery is over and your physician has spoken with them.